Engineering Academy-College Tech Prep
This two-year College Tech Prep Academy combines academically competitive, college prep courses with hands-on technical studies. Students rotate through four technology areas-computer-aided design, (CAD), electronics, robotics & programming, manufacturing processes and polymers. ¾ of the program is at Theodore Roosevelt High school and ¼ of the program is at Stow-Munroe High School.
College prep courses in English, Algebra II or Honors/Adv. Algebra II, Pre-Calculus or Honors/Adv. Pre-Calculus, Calculus, AP Calculus, and Adv. Physics I and II are linked with the technology curriculum. University partners include Cleveland State University and The University of Akron.
Various instructional approaches are used, including team teaching, work teams, self-directed studies, and project-based learning. Benefits of this program include: exposure to key elements of various aspects of engineering; practical content for future college engineering courses; work with experienced engineers; and extra-curricular opportunities with regional competitions.
- Two years
- 3.5 hours daily- from 7:30 am to 11:05 am
- Two technical credits plus three academic credits per year
- Students are eligible to earn 9 college credits through the University of Akron, Summit College.
- Algebra 1 and Geometry or Honors/Adv. Algebra 1 and Honors/Adv. Geometry
- “B” or better in all math courses
- Completion of one college prep credit in science and English
- Recommended: Average G.P.A. of 2.75 for math, English, and science for three previous semesters
- Average 95% attendance for three previous semesters
AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
- Principles of electronics, robotics & programming
- Design and manufacturing processes
- Computer-aided design (CAD)
- Lab testing procedures/standards
- Principles of Applied Physics
- Academy mathematics level is based on previous courses:
- Algebra II or Adv/Hon Alg. II
- Pre-Calculus or Adv/Hon Pre-Calculus
- Calculus or AP Calculus AB (second year 2 only)
- College Prep English: research writing, literary analysis, technical writing
WITH CONTINUED EDUCATION, WHAT KIND OF JOBS WOULD BE AVAILABLE TO ME?
- Engineering: Aeronautical, biomedical, computer, electrical,environmental, chemical, civil, corrosion, mechanical, petroleum, and welding
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Polymer Science
- Computer Programming
- Environmental Science
- Industrial Design
- and so much more!